Sunday, November 11, 2012

DIY Beauty Solutions

I've embarked on an exploratory adventure into the realm of home made beauty products. I've made several of these concoctions a handful of times and have nearly perfected my formulas. GOOD BYE EXPENSIVE SKIN CARE PRODUCTS! And pleasant greetings to very inexpensive, easy to make, and extremely effective home made mixtures.


I'm currently using a home made scrub twice daily. It's made my face so smooth and blemish free! I will forever not-miss you black heads and pimples.

Once to twice weekly (time allowing) I use a mask on areas that were previously problem areas like my chin and nose.


Once to twice weekly I use a tooth whitener. I'll cut down on the usage of this product when I reach my desired whiteness. (Has anyone ever reached they're desired tooth color? I feel like everyone always wants whiter teeth!)
I'm sharing my recipes just in case you might find them helpful in your life. Do NOT use them if you are allergic to any of the ingredients (Duh). I would recommend testing them on a small area before diving in, especially if you have sensitive skin.

Daily face scrub

Ingredients:
2 Tbs Baking Soda
2 Tbs Sugar
2 Tbs Glycerin
1 Tbs Water

Recipe:
Mix the baking soda and sugar together, add the glycerin and water and stir until consistent.

Use:
Rinse your face with warm water. Scrub your dampface, avoiding the eye area, with the well stirred mixture. Let it sit for 2 -5 minutes until dried/thickened. Rinse away completely with warm water and pat dry. Use morning and night.

Tips and hints:
I got my bottle of Glycerin at Hobby Lobby- they have a soap making section ($3.47 for 8 oz!!). This recipe makes enough for me to use for several weeks, I store it in a labeled mason jar. It will settle and needs to be stirred before every use.

Weekly Mask

Ingredients:
1 small bottle of Aspirin
 a few drops of Glycerin

Recipe:
Crush the aspirin into a powder and stir in a few drops of glycerin to create a paste, adding more small drops of glycerin until you reach you desired texture.

Use:
Rinse your face with warm water and leave damp. Apply small amounts in your most congested areas of the face and let dry/thicken for 2-5 minutes. Rinse away completely with warm water and pat dry. Use once to twice weekly.

Tips and hints:
The more generic the aspirin the better! I crush my aspirin up on a plate with a large metal spoon, just continue crushing the next aspirin on top of the last. You can use pure aloe in place of the glycerin if you choose. The paste should be very thick- not at all runny. You can make small amounts as needed, but I made about 4 Tbs worth and store it in a mason jar. The ingredients do not separate and settle like that of the daily scrub, it actually becomes more ply able with time. I've only been using this one for a few weeks so I'm not sure how long the pre-made mixture will last.



Tooth Whitener

Ingredients:
a dab of Toothpaste
1 Tbs Hydrogen Peroxide
2 Tbs Baking Soda
1 Tbs Water

Recipe:
Mix the ingredients together and stir until a thin consistent paste is formed

Use:
Brush onto teeth for two minutes once weekly until your teeth have reached the desired whiteness then decrease use to once to twice a month.

Tips and Hints:
This recipe has been making my teeth more sensitive- I'm watering it down a tad. This I also store in a labeled mason jar.

No comments :

Post a Comment