Saturday, November 24, 2012

Wash the Washer

With the amount of baby poo that has gone into my washing machine I know it needs a thorough cleaning from time to time. Check out this grimy baby!



How do I get my washing machine fresh and clean while keeping it chemically safe for cloth diapers?

I can't use bleach as this blogger suggests: onegoodthingbyjillee.com

Bleach can really do some damage to a baby so I avoid it when possible (which has always been possible, so far). Obviously in Jillee's method I wouldn't be putting the diapers in the bleach, it's just my personal preference to not put bleach in the washer for fear it lingers. I'm also aware that bleach and vinegar together can release dangerous fumes. She doesn't use them together but uses them in back to back cycles which I would prefer not to do.



Instead I run my longest hottest cycle with a 1/2 cup of Borax. I have found Borax at both Walmart and Kroger down the same aisle as the laundry detergents.



Let your washer fill up with hot water, add the 1/2 cup borax, let it agitate for a few minutes, and then stop the cycle for a nice hour long soak.

Check out all the dirt that gets kicked loose. YUCK!


Now that your washer's innards have soaked for a good hour or so let the cycle run it's course. While the washing machine is washing it's own insides I like to use the Borax and some water to clean the outside. Work a little Borax into a few drips of water until it becomes a paste to scrub off any grit or grime. (Just like using baking soda. In fact I suspect that you could supplement Baking Soda in place of Borax during this entire process)

Then repeat these steps using 2 cups of vinegar in place of the Borax.

VOILA! Squeaky clean 


No comments :

Post a Comment