Sunday, January 6, 2013

Cabinet doors as organizing solution? Genius!


organizing measuring cups and spoons (6)
my inspration: found at
www.infarrantlycreative.net
More than a year ago, I pinned this photo. It caught my eye because my measuring spoons and cups are always a hassle. I've thought to myself a million times that there must be an easier, nicer looking way to keep them organized. Then bam! There it is. The source of the pin is http://www.infarrantlycreative.net and you can read their post about organizing measuring spoons here.
my own disshelved measuring
cups and spoons

Joe would never let me take a drill to a cabinet door unsupervised and it's taken me a year of showing him the photo and pleading, can we do this one this weekend? (It might sound sexist... but you didn't see what I did to the wall trying to hang a mirror.) Today was the day! He did most of this project while I watched. Joe did let me help a little, I got to hold the level. I'm pitiful, I know, but I learned a lot! Maybe before too many more projects have passed he'll trust me with the power tools again :)


The original pin, my inspiration, is shown using paint sticks. Good choice because hardware stores will give them to you for free. We had some paneling left over from a recent project in the bathroom, rather than make a trip to the hardware store for free paint stirring sticks we used up our scraps. Joe measured the cabinet door I selected and cut the long strip of panel into shorter pieces according to his meticulous measurements (Joe does everything meticulously).

I used some left over Rust-Oleum spray paint, which made the old white strips of scrap panel look like fake stone (That's right, I painted them not Joe. I did get lectured later for not properly cleaning the spray can's valve.) I think it looks nice, especially for having just thrown some left overs together.


Next, Joe measured and drilled nice, evenly spaced, level holes in our panels. After he drilled the holes I screwed in the hooks.

Joe vocalized a few tips and learning experiences for me as we got to the step where we attached the panels to the cabinet door. Number 1, make sure your screws are NOT longer than your cabinets are thick. Or else your screws will come busting out the other side of your cabinet door. That would not be pretty. (This might seem obvious to you, but I honestly wouldn't have thought about that. I know, I'm pitiful). Number 2, compare your screw to your drill bit and then mark the bit with tape. This is to be sure you don't drill all the way through your cabinet door. That would also not be pretty.
Joe's hand modeling
career is up and coming!

Meticulous Joe marked the cabinet doors and the panels to make sure we were hanging the panels level. This is where I came in and helped by holding the level! He assures me my role was very important. My husband wouldn't patronize me, would he?

Now, I went through my measuring spoons and cups and realized I was missing at least one spoon or cup from each set. So, naturally, I had to buy new ones. I mean, now my spoons are pretty much on display. I have to have one nice matching set. Or two :)





I hope you like the finished product as much as I do! 

We live in a VERY small house. I plan on taking on a lot of organizing projects before the new baby gets here in August. This one didn't clear out much space, but it was long over due. In the near future I have a whole room full of junk (from our current guest bedroom/office) to incorporate into other rooms of our house in order to make room for a second nursery. We're going to have to get creative, and I plan on sharing all of these creative solutions with you! If you have any unique organizing solutions for small spaces I'd love to hear from you!

As always, thanks for reading!


1 comment :


  1. At Stone Solutions we offer you the perfect solution to updating tired, worn or outdated work surfaces with a minimum of fuss and cost.

    Benchtop Resurfacing Sydney

    ReplyDelete