Monday, December 17, 2012

DIY Highlight and Contour Creams


You guys have these right? Beat up eye shadows that spent too much time getting knocked around in your purse or cosmetic bag. I'm going to show you an easy-peasy way to turn them into highlight and contour creams.

Step 1: Crush up the eye shadow into a fine powder and place it in a container
I mixed several eye shadows to get a pearl-ish color for my highlight cream (shown above), and mixed several others to make a bronze-ish color for my contour cream. I also used some shimmer in the highlighter, but not too much. I don't want to be mistaken for a vampire, after all.

Step 2: Add 4-6 squirts of lotion (depending on the amount of shadow you used)
Use a lotion that you already know will react well with you skin. Stir it well and make sure there are no clumps left. If the cream is not stirred well enough the pigment will not distribute evenly on your skin and you will be blotchy. The same can happen if you use too much lotion.

 Step 3: Use it!
The contour cream looks much darker in my picture than in person, I would  not suggest your contour cream be as dark as it looks here. You highlight cream should be one shade lighter than your natural skin tone and your contour cream should be one shade darker.

With this homemade solution you only get one shot at the application. If you try to add more contour after the first application has dried you'll find that it swirls and dries blotchy and is nearly impossible to blend. I advise that if you make a mistake you wash your face and start a fresh.

I hope you find this useful! Please, don't be afraid to leave a comment to let us know what you think.



4 comments :

  1. adding to my list of things to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know how it goes! Did you see the tutorial I did on how to highlight and contour?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can also do 50/50 lotion and primer then mix in the color you are using.

    ReplyDelete