Tuesday, January 8, 2013

DIY Mason Jar Soap Dispenser


My 'unsightly' bottle of Dawn

This project is so simple, but still offers savings to enjoy, and a lovely touch of decor in your home. Let me set the scene: I'm home with a stomach virus. While laying on the couch for hours in total agony I've begun a challenging staring contest. My opponent is this ugly bottle of Dawn setting out on my sink. My house is tiny, I really can see this Dawn from my living room sofa with ease. It's bothering me... I might have cabin fever.

It's more efficient to set it out than to have to fetch it from a cabinet every time I need a squirt of Dawn's grease fighting power. But it's just not cute enough to match my new measuring spoon display, don't judge me! Ha ha ha.


A pump bottle could be so cute right? Right? Remember my post about saving all my jars? Check it out here. I have a collection of jars on top of my refrigerator, just waiting to be upcycled and put to good use. I also have a collection of bottled lotion with pump tops waiting to be slathered on my skin. Today I finally saw a bottle to it's end and commandeered the pump top.



I selected a left over mason jar to be my new soap dispenser. The assembly was incredibly simple. I started by stabbing the lid of the mason jar with a steak knife. I could have probably chosen a better utensil for creating this whole, but I get impatient and the steak knife was handy. Anyway, I started with cutting an "X" into the lid and then worked the whole bigger and bigger until the pump fit through the whole. I stopped several times to check and see if the pump fit yet. I wanted the pump to fit snugly. I roughly measured the length on the pump by holding it against the mason jar and snipped off the access with a pair of scissors. Next I secured the pump to the lid with hot glue.


Joe would have been totally aghast had he seen me doing all this. Using the wrong tools, doing 'rough' measurements, spray painting the grass... But if Joe had done this it would have taken several hours and we would have had the same final results. This adorable soap dispenser! I'm anxious to free up another pump top so that I can create a matching dispenser for hand soap. I'l have very soft and moisturized skin until I can get another lotion bottle empty.

You don't have to use a mason jar for this project. An easily disposed of empty jar of spaghetti sauce, olives, or pickles could be your next soap dispenser!


Do you have a DIY project you're itching to share? Let me know, I'd love to have you share your ideas here as a guest author!
Thank for reading :)


1 comment :

  1. We provide a full range of environmentally safe Hygiene Services and Washroom products, including Sanitary Bins, Air Fresheners (Air Fresh units & Purifiers), medical waste and sharps removal as well as hand hygiene products, we have over 150 products, services and options to suit virtually any requirement.

    hand dryers

    ReplyDelete