Saturday, December 15, 2012

The stay-home vs work struggle

As a full time nurse and full time mom… I'm struggling with doing both.

•Day care is expensive, at almost $700 a month for full time.
•I don't feel like my almost 4-year-old is getting the education I'd like. A lot of his crafts come home looking like an adult assembles them.
•Although he's getting to interact with other children, he's also bringing home their bad words, back talking, and poor behavior.
•My daycare was the only option, local daycares are open 6-6. I work 7-730. It has to be somewhere convenient for Joe or my parents to pick up.
•I don't think they take my concerns seriously. (Ie clothes being on right when I drop him off and backwards when I pick him up, kids biting-he was bit 8 times last summer, lack of behavior reports-I wanna be an active parent and aware of his behavior)
•Every class does not have a teacher with a degree.
•Finding a babysitter has proven to be a challenge. All my friends and family work.
•My schedule varies (three 12-hour shifts)… day care is a set schedule. Which means I'm paying for days I don't need. What a waste!!! Right now, I'm paying for 3 days/wk. Some weeks, I don't need to take him at all because of my work schedule.





I worked at a daycare for over a year. I feel like I could handle it. I've been collecting ideas and supplies for a while now. But there are the obvious set backs. Namely, finances. Joe and I are not married, I can't expect him to support me. Nor would I feel comfortable with my lack of contribution.

Every time he brings home a perfect craft, an incident report, or a new word… I cycle through all of this in my head. The guilt is really weighing in on me. As a "single" mother (unmarried, not with the biological father, and receiving no child support), my options are very limited. I cannot be the only mother who is stuck in this situation.

So… what am I going to do about it? Well, clipping coupons, making my own cleaning products, and saying goodbye to hair and nail salons is going to be a start. I'll never be able to go to part time with daycare being one of my highest bills. But maybe with some creative schedule rearranging, I can get rid of daycare. Having $500 less a month in bills would make a serious impact!

Stay tuned for solutions!
•at-home-acrylics
•My coupon binder
•My lesson plan ideas
•Fighting for a cleaner home and a salary
•"Stop buying lunch!" And other money wasting work mistakes.
•Want to buy vs. need to buy vs. make it



No comments :

Post a Comment