Sunday, December 2, 2012

How to hollow a light bulb

Here we are, with light bulbs going in the trash left and right... and Christmas coming quickly. I hate hate hate throwing things away! Here are some instructions to re-use that bad boy!


Step one: 
Begin by peeling up a corner of this do-hickey. I used a nail tip. You can use a razor blade, screwdriver, or anything else of that nature.




Step two: 
The do-hickey should pop right off with the help of some pliers. Be careful! The black area is glass!!!


Step Three:
I used an allen wrench to break out the black thinga-magig. You could use anything that's small enough to fit in that little hole. Be careful, hold it over a trash can, It is glass, afterall.You can see the indentation where I used leverage to pop the black piece out.




Step four: 
Break out the glass insides and throw them away dispose of them appropriately. Some light bulbs may have mercury. And I am not sure what other chemicals may be in them.



Step five: 
Decorate :)




Please feel free to leave comments and subscribe ;)




Shortly after taking the picture I dropped this little guy. RIP Lightbulb snowman



1 comment :

  1. Thank, Jamie! Now all my friends and family will get light bulb ornaments from me next year :) You can look forward to that! LOL!

    ReplyDelete